Once you have found a windshield wiper make and model that fits your car and you’re satisfied with wiping performance it kinda makes sense to stick with this blade going forward.
But if you are able to change the entire assembly, then you’re most likely also qualified to replace just the rubber insert.
If you want to go this route, then you’ll be able to save some money.
But you’ll also have to do a bit more detective work to find the right inserts.
It’s not always that easy to find the correct insert as they are not always named in relations to the assembly they fit.
And it’s also just some blades you can get replacement refills for.
Below is the result of the research I’ve done, so you can steer clear of all the dead ends.
PIAA only have one refill, but it fits both the Aero Vogue and the Super Silicone.
The parts number looks like this: 940xx (where xx is the length of the blade in centimeters)
This fits nicely with the parts numbers for Aero Vogue (961xx) and Super Silicone (950xx)
Here’s a direct link to Amazon for these.
Trico is quite a bit more tricky to find inserts for compared to PIAA.
Trico have their own page where they describe which inserts goes with which blades, but even with that page it’s not easy figuring out the correct one.
Only 3 out of the 16 different models listed on Trico’s website match a specific refill.
- Exact Fit – 43-xxx (where xxx is the size of the blade in millimeters)
- Sense – 17-xxx (where xxx is the size of the blade in millimeters)
- Classic – 43-xxx (where xxx is the size of the blade in millimeters)
These are the only ones I would feel comfortable buying
This leaves 13 other models and 4 different refill series which are hard to match. Some of the 13 models are blade or hybrid models though.
Examples of poor matches:
- 36-500 matches Windspoiler, but it’s not possible to find a Windspoiler blade on Trico’s website.
- 47-600 fit 6mm square claw blades, but it’s not possible to find any description of which models use “square claw”
- 47-700 fit 7mm trapezoidal claw blades, but it’s not possible to find any description of which models use “trapezodial claw”
- 47-800 fit 8mm square claw blades, but it’s not possible to find any description of which models use “square claw”
- 44-xxx is listed as fitting long frame plastic blades, but it’s not described what is considered “long”
- 45-xxx is listed as fitting twin rail blades with square claws, but the only place twin rails are mentioned is for RV and HD blades. But on the RV and HD pages the 45-series is not mentioned.
- Series 70, 71 & 72 are not mentioned on the refill page, but they are specified on the RV and HD pages.